Home › Welcome to Nizhny Novgorod › City Today › Layout and Districts › Lower City
Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod
The Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod is one of the two historical and
organizational parts that Nizhny Novgorod is divided to.
The Lower City is located in the corner that is formed by the Volga and the Oka rivers flowing together.
Unlike the Upper City that is hilly located
the Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod is a lowland territory.
Quite often, while on a springtime season dissolution, the neighbor to the Lower City suburbs are become impounded.
Today the Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod consists of the following city districts:
Historically the Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod is a territory that the small neighbor
settlements and villages were located in. In 1929 they were covered by the city of Nizhny Novgorod.
By that time there were two significant settlements there -
Sormovo (Sormovsky City District now) and
Kanavino (Kanavinsky City District) that not so long before had got town statuses.
As independent towns they were existing for three years only.
For the years since the city of Nizhny Novgorod covered the left-side bank of the Oka river
the difference between the Lower City and the Upper City have become slight.
Nowadays the Lower City of Nizhny Novgorod is a concentration of dormitory and industrial areas. The giant of Russian motor-car industry, Gorky Automobile Plant (GAZ), is located in the Lower City.
Upper City of Nizhny Novgorod
Major Lower City Sights
Nizhny Novgorod Fair
Back to Layout and Districts